Summer Research Symposium
In line with our university’s response to the COVID-19 international outbreak, WSU did not host students in person on the Pullman campus for summer 2020 research programs. However, two of our programs shifted to a virtual format: Larry Holder and Hassan Ghasemzadeh’s REUs in the School of Electrical Engineering & Computer Science.
If your plans for summer 2021 include research, please do consider WSU as your top choice for an outstanding experience.
About Our Annual Poster Symposium
The poster symposium is the capstone experience that showcases student researchers’ summer work at WSU. It also offers opportunities to talk to fellow researchers and their guests about the wide variety of work that has been completed over the past 10 weeks. The event is open to the public.
This year, the summer symposium will be from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Friday, August 2 in the Smith Center for Undergraduate Education (CUE) Atrium (second floor). Light refreshments will be served at the event, and lunch will be provided for all student researchers. Here’s the symposium schedule:
- 8:15 a.m.: Students hang posters and participate in a photo session(s). Students should arrive no later than 8:15 a.m. to hang their posters on assigned display-board spaces; groups will be called for photos
- 9:00-9:45 a.m. (in nearby CUE 202): Symposium welcoming remarks and keynote presentation by: TBA
- 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.*: Summer Undergraduate Research Symposium is open to the public
- 1:00 p.m.: Posters may be removed
- *11:30 a.m. (in nearby CUE 303): Lunch for presenters only
Workshops Related to Symposium
Summer 2020 Abstract Writing Workshop: A training session that breaks down the typical abstract into pieces that are easier to understand and complete.
Poster Costs and Template
Your summer research program may be able to pay for your poster if you submit it by the deadline to the Biomedical Communications Unit (BCU) in the College of Veterinary Medicine in room 123 of the Bustad building. (You can also use any other print shop that your mentor decides to choose.) BCU’s hours are from 7:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. https://bcu.vetmed.wsu.edu/
Please talk to your program director about obtaining an Interdepartmental Requisition Invoice (IRI) to pay for the poster printing.