Summer Research Programs
In line with our university’s response to the COVID-19 international outbreak, WSU did not host students in person on the Pullman campus for summer 2020 research programs. However, two of our programs shifted to a virtual format: Larry Holder and Hassan Ghasemzadeh’s REUs in the School of Electrical Engineering & Computer Science.
If your plans for summer 2021 include research, please do consider WSU as your top choice for an outstanding experience.
Expand your résumé at Washington State University! Participate in summer research programs hosted by mentoring WSU faculty and funded by NSF Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU), USDA-NIFA, and faculty grants.
There are projects at the main campus in Pullman as well as at urban campus locations throughout the Pacific Northwest. You will:
- Conduct research in cutting-edge facilities
- Be mentored by award-winning professors
- Receive a generous stipend that covers many expenses
- Showcase your work to the public at an end-of-program poster symposium
- Expand your personal and professional network
How Do I Join the Program?
You must apply directly to the specific program that interests you. Summer research programs are listed below.
Summer 2020 Research Programs
Programs Continuing in a Virtual Format
The following programs are able to function in a virtual format and will continued as planned for summer 2020.
- Multidisciplinary Undergraduate Research Training in Wearable Computing (School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science) Contact: Hassan Ghasemzadeh; Website: epsl.eecs.wsu.edu
- Undergraduate Research in Smart Environments (School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science) Contact: Larry Holder Website: reu.eecs.wsu.edu
Programs No Longer Hosting Students In-Person
The following programs were originally planned for summer 2020, but are unfortunately unable to host students on the Pullman campus due to requirements associated with WSU’s response to the COVID-19 international outbreak.
- Atmospheric Chemistry and Climate Change: Measurements and Modeling in the Pacific Northwest (Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering) Contact: Shelley Pressley Website: lar.wsu.edu/ugrad_reu.html
- Materials Under Extreme Conditions Contact: Institute for Shock Physics Website: https://shock.wsu.edu/undergraduate-research/
- Northwest Advanced Renewables Alliance (NARA) (A WSU-led public/private biofuels project) Contact: Shelley Pressley Website: nararenewables.org/sure
- Phenomics Big Data Management (Phenomics Data Integration and Analytics in Crop Improvement) Contact: Sindhuja Sankaran Website: labs.wsu.edu/sankaran-phenomics/undergrad-research-exp/
- Plant Cell Biology and Biochemistry (Institute of Biological Chemistry) Contact: Andrei Smertenko
- Research in Interdisciplinary STEM Education (RISE) (Depts. of Molecular Biosciences, Teaching and Learning, Mathematics, Chemistry, and Biological Sciences) Contact: Erika Offerdahl
- Stakeholder Informed Modeling of Innovations in the FEW (Center for Environmental Research, Education, and Outreach) Contact: Julie Padowski Website: cereo.wsu.edu/reu-stakeholder-few-innovations
- Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) (Dept. of Pharmaceutical Sciences, WSU Spokane) Contact: Kay Meier More info: PDF with program details
- Sustainable High-value Horticulture & Processing Systems in Washington State (College of Agricultural, Human, and Natural Resource Sciences) Contact: Doug Collins
- Waves in the Universe and Technology (Dept. of Physics and Astronomy) Contact: Brian Collins Website: physics.wsu.edu/research/reu